Ayurveda practices will help you to stop taking pills to sleep or poop and it will improve your sex life at the same time. It’s really a total win!
However, it’s not as simple as popping a pill; it requires some effort. But only a little and it will get easier with time.
In this blog, I’m honing in on improving sleep by guiding you to balance your energy. If you’ve been experiencing fluctuations—feeling energetic one moment, then exhausted the next, or being motivated and ready for fun only to feel too tired to start—then I have the perfect Ayurveda practice for you to learn and begin practicing right away.
It’s a specific breathing practice or pranayama.
This is the most commonly practiced pranayama technique. And I think its popularity is due to the purifying effects it has on the body while also balancing the flow of energy, preventing you from feeling uncertain, unfocused, or quickly depleted. And, inside bonus, you will sleep better!
I am referring to: Alternate Nostril Breathing, also called Anuloma-Viloma.
It’s easy to learn and safe for most folks, offering benefits regardless of what’s happening in your inner life. You also don’t have to believe it will do anything for you, it will still work.
Here’s how to do it:
- Sit comfortably on the floor or a chair.
- Close your eyes.
- Keep your chest open and lifted while slightly lowering your head, resembling a bowing position.
- Take a few easy breaths.
- Position your right hand, curling the index and middle fingers while keeping the other fingers relaxed.
- Lightly place your right thumb on the corner of your right nostril and your ring finger on the corner of your left nostri
You will now begin to breathe by alternating the flow of air through one nostril and then the other- which is why this is called:
Please follow the steps below ~
- Inhale for a count of 3 through the left nostril while closing off the right nostril.
- Gently close both nostrils briefly.
- Exhale for a count of 3 through the right nostril, keeping the left nostril closed.
- Inhale for a count of 3 through the right nostril while closing off the left nostril.
- Gently close both nostrils.
- Exhale for a count of 3 through the left nostril, keeping the right nostril closed.
- Repeat steps 1-6. Begin this practice with 2-3 minutes of repetitions and gradually increase to 5-10 minutes.
To end your practice:
- Keep your head lowered and place your hands on your lap or thighs.
- Breathe normally through both nostrils for a few breaths.
- Remain relaxed and lift your head back to its normal upright position.
Check out this YouTube Video from India on how to do Alternate Nostril Breathing. Its inspiring!
If you like this content and want more get access to my weekly Blog drop here and get a copy of my Yoga Journal too. The Journal is designed to help you keep track of your healthy lifestyle practices.
Interested in Ayurveda Consultation with me? I’d love to work with you. Here is information and how to sign up to begin.
Follow me on Instagram
Follow me on LinkedIn